SPINAL PAIN- NECK/UPPER BACK/LOWER BACK/COCCYX (tailbone)
- Arthritis of the spine/ sacroiliac joint
- Disc bulges
- Spinal Stenosis
- Muscle(abdominal/spinal)- Sprains/Strains/Crick
- Muscle strength imbalances- core muscles(abdominals/spinal muscles), hip/buttock muscles
- Rib strains/fracture related back pain
- Post-surgery Related back pain (abdominal/thorax-lung, heart/pelvic, gynaecological, caesarean section/mastectomy/spinal disc decompressions-discectomies-laminectomies-fusions)
- Pregnancy/delivery Related back pain
- Period (monthly cycle)/ovarian cyst/endometriosis related back pain
When someone attends me with back pain, as with any problem that someone presents with, I do a full subjective history which helps inform me of possible contributing causes. The vast majority of the time, there is no serious cause, but if I feel there could be, I will refer a person to their GP for further investigation.
Objective assessment will help inform me of what needs to be addressed in resolving a person’s back pain.
Treatment will address contributing factors such as movement restrictions in the spine (cervical-neck, upper back-thoracic spine/ribs- including rib articulations to thoracic spine and breast bone, lower back-lumbar spine, coccyx/tail-bone-coccygeal spine), pelvic joints (pubic joint/sacroiliac/iliosacral joints),muscles, ligaments, tendons and underlying visceral (organ) restrictions affecting movement of the spine, ribs, sternum, pelvis, hip/shoulder joints etc..
Appropriate education and therapeutic exercises (addressing flexibility and strength deficits and imbalances) will be part of the treatment also.
If appropriate orthotics/insoles may be prescribed
The aim is to restore pain free movement and function.